Ladies! I’ve been getting tons of questions about vaginal issues and ways to maintain pH balance. As a result, this will serve as the first of a series called “Vagina Dialogue.” Be sure to check in frequently for upcoming topics related to vaginal health!
Vaginal discharge can be normal- to an extent but varies from woman to woman. Certain circumstances may warrant changes in vaginal discharge. For example, pregnant women experience increased discharge as their pregnancy progresses. Also hormones can effect the amount of discharge a woman may have and can fluctuate depending on the time in the menstrual cycle. However, vaginal discharge that is not normal for you or has increased or become odorous may be problematic.
I’ve listed some tips to help prevent vaginal discharge and maintain pH balance. As always, if you have reason for concern- refer to your PCP, NP, OB/ GYN for diagnostic and treatment evaluation.
- Douche- this further disrupts the pH balance and does not address the underlying cause of the odor
- Tight Clothes/ Undergarments- breed moisture and prevent ventilation
- Scented sanitary products (pads, tampons etc…)
- Heavily scented soaps, body wash, bubble bath, laundry detergents
- Self Diagnose- always visit your doctor to discuss changes or concerns
- Wipe front to back
- Change sanitary products frequently
- Wear cotton or cotton crotched undergarments
- Protected sex
- Clean intimate toys before and after each use
- Use water based lubricants
- Yogurt and Probiotics are good sources of lactobacillus acidophilus which aid in maintaining pH balance (helps create an environment that harmful bacteria can’t live in)
- Good nutrition and hydration
**All content found on this youtube channel & thenursejulia.com website, including text, images, audio or other formats were created for informational purposes only. All should refer to their primary care providers for advice, treatment and diagnosis. This information solely reflects the owner’s medical opinion.**